Tuesday, June 20, 2006

My Summer Reading List Just Keeps Growing and Growing and Growing

Problem is I'm not sitting on a beach where soft breezes and the muted sounds of playing children lull me into a state of deep relaxation perfect for reading. No, I am at home, in a hot house, with a toddler who constantly begs to watch Tubbies. I would trick myself by going taking us to the park instead, but by the time it's no longer hot as hell it's too dark to read and the bugs are out. And if we went to a beach, I'd read even less because I'd constantly be worried about the Cracker drowning.

My biggest problem: every time I start a new book, it references a gazillion others that I have to read too.

This morning I finally scored What's the Matter with Kansas? by Thomas Frank at the library. I've been dying to get my hands on this book for weeks now. Not 50 pages in I also know I must also read: One Market Under God, same author, Bobos in Paradise by David Brooks and Don't Think of an Elephant by George Lakoff.

Ugh.

Books that I've started in the last few weeks:
Home Alone America by Mary Eberstadt
Raising Boys by Steve Biddulph

Books that are also on the short list, physically in my house just waiting to be read:
Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim by David Sedaris
The Blue Jay's Dance by Louise Erdrich
The Year of Pleasures by Elizabeth Berg
Sunflower Houses by Sharon Lovejoy (a super cool gift from my Aunt)

And ones I still need to get my sweaty hands on:
Penguin History of the USA (great series...I just reread Latin America a few months back)
Between Worlds: The Making of an American Life by Bill Richardson

The only book I've finished in the last month:
The Lazy Husband by Joshua Coleman. Terrible title, but OMG I really liked this one! ROFL Next time J pisses me off I'll be buying it used on Amazon to keep in the house. I found it at the library when I was looking for something else, and I almost didn't borrow it because of that darn title. Even if your husband isn't...er...lazy, it's got some great stuff about the roles that mothers play in a two parent hetero household, both SAH and working moms. (Nothing new really, but I like hearing a man say it.)

And just so you know that I like the tube too, other goals I hope to accomplish before Fall hits:
-Rent seasons 1-3 of Sex and the City. (I have seen a lot of them on Fox, but hello! they cut out all the best parts! I already own seasons 4-6 and have watched them dozens of times, but I really want to make sure that I've seen absolutely every episode.) The vibrator one? I haven't seen it!
-Rent season 2 of Grey's Anatomy, but it doesn't come out until Fall. I think I've seen them all now, but I must rewatch without distractions.
-Catch more of the Daily Show. God, Jon Stewart...I love that man!
-See more of Ann Coulter promoting her new book on cable (yeah, I'm pretty darn sure I'll never agree with a single thing the woman has to say, but she's a trainwreck I can't turn away from)
-Heck, if there's time, I'd even like to watch more of the O'Reilly Factor LOL (my poor dad is disgusted that I'm helping his ratings, but I love listening to him whine about the liberal media)

My beautiful sister in law is coming to visit tomorrow and bringing her perfect almost 7 year old son with her, so I'm off to clean. Not too much though, because she'll understand. But a little. Litterbox needs to be moved from the guest room if nothing else.

No comments: